ocated in the heart of Farringdon, The Quality Chop House has firmly established its reputation as the local and destination restaurant in London's EC1, striking the perfect balance between quality produce and authentic British cuisine.
Designed and built in the 1870's by Roland Plumbe, The Quality Chop House is one of the rare survivor's of late nineteenth century working-class chop houses. London's literati and epicureans would meet and enjoy a plate of meat, bread and half a pint of ale for the modest sum of six pence.
The twenty first century Chop House has now have added a modern twist to its Classic, British Food but the feel, decor and ethos of the restaurant still remains true to its founder.
The menu has been carefully designed to ensure that it is still great value for money and customers can still choose anything from jellied eels to caviar, steak and chips to grilled lobster, with the now famous pies and the signature dish, salmon fishcakes with sorrel sauce remaining clear favorites with regular diners.
For people who love food, The Quality Chop House is the perfect place to mix business with pleasure, entertain friends or enjoy early evening drinks and a light bite before the theatre in the newly refurbished adjoining bar.
Located in the heart of Farringdon, The Quality Chop House has firmly established its reputation as the local and destination restaurant in London's EC1, striking the perfect balance between quality produce and authentic British cuisine.
Housed in a unique Grade 2 listed building in the heart of Farringdon, The Quality Chop House's historical and architectural importance has been recognised by English Heritage which registered 94 Farringdon Road as a 'building of importance to our nation for the interest of its architectural design, decoration and craftsmanship as well as its historical interest which displays important aspects of the nations social, economic and cultural history'.
The Quality Chop House was designed and built by Sir Roland Plumbe, a renowned architect, in the 1870's. Plumbe was a Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects, a Member of RIBA, Master of the Painter and Stainers Company and a learned author of several papers on architecture. But he was perhaps best remembered in his field for trying to attempt to use architectural ingenuity as a social remedy.
Today, the Quality Chop House is one of the rare survivors of late nineteenth century working-class chop houses, once termed 'eating-houses' for their no-nonsense offering of good hearty traditional British food, where London gentleman would come and enjoy a hearty meal. 'A roughness but it was a cosy roughness', said E Callow 1899.
In the early 1980's, The Quality Chop House underwent a major refurbishment, whilst ensuring that the décor depicted much of the history relating to the Victorian diner. Many of the original high quality fittings dating back to the late nineteenth century have remained. The shop front reveals an insight into the history of the building with stain glass windows stating 'London's Noted Cup of Tea, 'Progressive Working Class Caterers, 'Best Quality'. Inside, nine bays of oak benches and oak tables are bolted to the floor and walls with ornate castings which surround regular diners who still enjoy their meals today.
Recently accommodation that adjoins the restaurant was transformed in to a bar and bistro, all in the original image, that makes this 'Retrochic' venue a must for a visit.