n its first incarnation, the Westminster's was a convent. But in the 1840's, when Napoleon III appointed Baron Haussmann to redesign Paris into the magnificient city it is today, the old convent was closed. It was turned into an Inn and a Coaching Stop, and in 1846, adopted the coat of arms and name of the Duke of Westminster, a regular guest.
A curiosity is the hotel's cellar in the basement of the former convent. It contains the preserved graves of the convent's Mother Superior, who were respectfully left to rest in peace when the building was converted to a hostelry. At the turn of the century, when the building was acquired by Jean Bruchon, he declared that the site should be preserved in perpetuity.
Since the 80s ...
The Westminster was acquired in 1981 by Warwick International Hotels, and between 1996 and 2000, millions of pounds were poured into it to restore it to true deluxe standards.
The result is a hotel that combines traditional Parisian elegance and modern comfort.
The hotel's sumptuous lobby is faced in black and sienna marble with a two-stone covered ceiling.
Its facial point is a gilded antique table holding a dramatic flora arrangement, illuminated by a crystal chandelier. Around it, conversational groups of floral brocade chairs invite guests to sit and relax.
Volker Zach, the General Director since the 9th of august, 1993, makes sure that all his visitors be welcomed as guests of honor at the hotel.
The Michelin-starred LE CELADON restaurant, known for its outstanding cuisine and exceptional service, offers a soothing environment for relaxed dining. Using shades of celadon green, with accents of celadon pottery, crystal and silk, the restaurant is a series of small dining salons separated by graceful archways, entirely renoved by Pierre-Yves Rochon.