farm shop, restaurant, garden centre and much more providing enjoyment for all, just south of Ipswich. For those who are interested in food; where it comes from, how it's been handled and what to do with it. Award winning services including the Best On Farm Butcher in Britain, are now available on-line.
*** Quality local food with provenance
As Suffolk farmers, we were frustrated that our friends often had limited access to much of the fantastic food produced locally. Spurred into action by this opportunity, the concept of a showcase for quality local food with provenance took shape and the Suffolk Food Hall collaboration was born.
Since opening in May 2007, the Suffolk Food Hall has quickly established itself as a centre of excellence for local food. We’ve brought together the best possible food and drink specialists under one roof: our own full-service (whole carcass to customer) traditional butcher's shop; Crystal Waters (the family fishmonger from Lowestoft); Hamish Johnson (the 'big cheese' from Framlingham); along with the Samford Restaurant and the Bourne Garden Centre and much more.
Fantastic bread is baked from scratch everyday, we’ve got an impressive delicatessen, an extensive variety of local and British vegetables, a big range of local beers and also fine wines from Tim Ferguson, home-baked cakes and biscuits, marinades, specialist oils and other gourmet goodies, plus a large selection of larder must-haves.
*** The Food hall
Our Food Hall is the finest market place for local quality Suffolk produce. With a market hall, butcher, greengrocer, delicatessen and fishmonger, the produce we and our producers sell is best value.
- Broxtead Butchery: Gerard and his team have built a strong reputation based on a traditional service with contemporary products. As a full butcher's shop they buy in whole bodies, hanging them correctly and breaking them down in the old fashioned way. That is why, after only 3 years, they won the 2010 Best On Farm Butcher in Britain as judged by our peer group; compatriot farm shops from across the UK ... find out more
- Market Hall and Store Cupboard: The 8,000 square feet of floor space in a converted cattle barn has become the home of the best food that Suffolk has to offer. As well as our core selection of store cupboard staples and epicurean essentials, the Food Hall is also home to much that will bring originality back into your shopping basket.
- The Delicatessen: Our delicatessen is stuffed with a wide range of cheese selected by Hamish Johnston, plus delicious antipasti, tarts, pies, quiches and a great choice of charcuterie: much of the cured meat comes from the butchery and is prepared on site.
- Crystal Waters: This 5m wet fish counter is a visual spectacle with a fantastic display of fresh fish from Lowestoft, plus more exotic catches from sustainable stock around the globe. Talk to fishmonger James and Dave from Crystal Waters about how to cook your fish. Open every day including Sunday.
- Market Garden: We rely on a network of local market gardeners and farmers, including our own, for our fruit and veg. Some days it’s more abundant than others and we always have the standard citrus fruits etc by collecting them directly from importers at Spitalfields.
- Artisan Bakery: Our own artisan bakers are up before the dawn chorus to bake a fresh batch of bread from scratch every morning. From the humble bloomer to focaccias and speciality loaves.
- Wine & Beer Merchant: Local wine merchant Tim Fergusson has hand-picked his favourite vineyards and vintages for every occasion, and we’ve also got a great selection of beers and ciders from local independent and specialist breweries, such as St. Peter’s and Aspalls.
- Chocolatier: The Food Hall is lucky to have the Suffolk concession for Leonidas, fresh Belgian chocolates, for your indulgence.
- Bourne Garden Centre: The on-site Garden Centre and plant nursery offers a wider range of plants, shrubs, pots as well as accessories, cards and gifts. Claire and her team are always happy to help ensure your gardening ideas come to life.