lose whole to Poitiers, city of art & of history, and the" Futuroscope, European park of the image, this magnificent chateau of the XVI th century you in an exceptional framework of greeneryand centenary trees.
Vouillé La Bataille, in the heart of France's Poitou region, has a history which has affected the whole of France. In 507, the victory of the Franks under Clovis in the battle with the Visigoths under Alric II, and the former's desire to unite the North and the South of France, mark the end of Gallo-Roman civilisation and of Gaul. In actual facts, it was at this time the unity among the peoples of France took on a signicance of historical proportions.
Just 3 km outside Vouillé stands Périgny, another ancient fiefdom of the chapter of Sainte-Radegonde.
This small market town was successively known as Primiacus in 939, Pririgne in 1360, Prigny in 1435, and finally Périgny in 1595.
Alongside Périgny,there was another fiefdom, la Chapelle de Prigne (1375), la Chapelle de Périgny, where the current "Château de Périgny" is located. In the Middle Ages, it was a stronghold which later became a rectangular farmhouse withan enclosed courtyard and four corner towers. It over looked the ford at Charbonneau andthe salt-route from Poitiers to Niort, which was a Celtic road.
Later on, towards the end of the XVI th century, the present chateauwas built and it was renamed in 1860 by the owner at that time, Madame Hunault de la Chevalerie. Through a will, the chapter of Saint-Radegonde inherited the propertyfor a few hundred years only, and high taxation eventually forced the clergy to leave Perigny.
There were several owners, including 5 generations of the Foy de Peyraud family which disappeared in the Revolution in 1789. The old chateau, flanked by its four corner towers, was abandoned to the farmers, while new owners built an operatta chateauin a romantic style influenced by Viollet-Le-Duc. The dominant feature is a staircasecarved in a local stone and decorated with the family's coat of arms.
The glimpse of Perigny's past makes one think that the important rolethat it has played throughout the ages will not have ended with the arrival of the twentiethcentury...
In 1973, the original Château was converted into a Hotel-Restaurant.
To the dawn of the year 2000, this historical chateau undergos important embellishmentsand renovation works to make some a magical place reputed for its gastronomy and the qualityof " la vie de château".
It is in 2007, that Monsieur et Madame Baratte become some the new proprietors.