e are committed to making choices in our business practices that will reduce environmental impact and encourage sustainability. Some of our areas of focus include:
* Sustainable Foods
* Green Packaging & Recycling
* Energy Efficiency & Utilization of Alternative Energy Sources
* Supporting Local Producers
* Consumer Education
* Animal Welfare with Humanely Raised Products
This commitment is a work in progress, and we are striving to improve upon our practices with every decision we make. One exciting new change you will see in stores is our new 100% recycled, reusable super strength bag.
Reusable and easy to recycle, our compostable paper bags are more efficient because they can hold more groceries. That means fewer bags for you to carry home, and fewer bags ending up in landfills.
Make one less decision in the grocery line. Join Andronico’s in their efforts to encourage sustainability and reduce negative impacts on the environment.
1. To keep in existence; maintain.
2. To supply with food, drink and other necessities of life.
From the definitions of sustain emerges the idea of sustainability - a concept and methodology that recognizes the importance of preserving and protecting the land, and the well being of those who produce the foods that sustain us.
Eating is an experience that is both pleasurable and necessary. The movement of Sustainable Agriculture is aimed at producing foods that are fresh and healthy, in ways that are not harmful to the environment, to animals, to workers and farmers, or to the communities that produce all of the foods that we need (and love) to eat!
Andronico's is proud to encourage sustainability. Here are some of the reasons why we're so committed:
* The Support of Local Producers - Sustainability involves eating local. When you purchase locally produced foods, you are reducing the amount of time that passes between the harvesting or processing of your food, and the time it reaches your kitchen or dinner table. By supporting the growers, producers and food-makers of your community, you are also helping to ensure that the foods you enjoy are as fresh, nutritious and flavorful as possible.
* Happier, Healthier and Greener Communities - With sustainable farms, money filters back into local businesses, land is preserved from development, farmers and workers are paid fairly and treated with respect, and rural communities are enhanced and strengthened.
* Conservation And Environmental Efforts - Because sustainable farms are as locally based as possible, the use of fossil fuels and transportation costs are reduced. Pollution is also minimized because waste from sustainable farming remains within the farm's ecosystem.
* Taking A Hint From Nature - Animals are treated humanely on sustainable farms, and are allowed to graze naturally and enjoy
appropriate diets. Many sustainable farms do not use chemicals of any kind, and plants and animals are rotated to ensure biodiversity, enrich the soil and prevent diseases. Because of these efforts, sustainable agriculture produces foods with superior flavor and health benefits.
To learn more about sustainability, please visit www.sustainabletable.com
Our paper bags can be used in many ways besides transporting groceries! Try some of these handy tips for reusing your paper bags. And don't forget to bring your bags back to Andronico's the next time you shop! They can be used again and again to bring your groceries home.
In Your Kitchen
* Fill a bag with bagels or loaves of bread to keep them fresh.
* Use bags to get your produce to the peak of ripeness.
* Cut up the bag and roll into a cone to make a funnel for dry ingredients.
* Use to carry prepared foods to potlucks and parties.
* Fill with anything from flour or breadcrumbs to powdered sugar. Use bags for breading chicken, or to coat homemade doughnuts.
Around Your Home
* Strong and sturdy, they're great as trash bags! Keep one near your desk for paper and other recyclable waste like magazines, computer paper or newspapers.
* Cut and tape several together whenever you need a protective covering. Paper bags can be used as a tarp or drop cloth for messy projects.
* Trim bags down to size and use in place of contact paper to line kitchen shelves, cabinets or drawers.
* Line flowerbeds with paper bags. They can help keep out weeds!
* Decorate with crayons, markers, glitter, glue, buttons and more to transform your paper bag into a unique hand puppet or mask.
* Cut the bag open for a canvas that kids can draw on.
* Cut to size as protective covers for schoolbooks that can easily be decorated and labeled.
* Use as an inexpensive palette for paints.
* Decorate with ribbons and markers to make invitations or cards.
* Allow your kids to customize a Trick-Or-Treat bag to match their costumes.
* Draw festive designs on the paper for personalized gift-wrap.
* Use markers, ribbons, rhinestones or fabric to make environmentally friendly holiday cards or ornaments.
* Cut into paper ring chains to hang on your tree or around your home as festive garlands.
* Cover a milk carton with cut paper bags, and glue on candy to make a recyclable gingerbread house.
* Transform cut squares into beautiful Valentines for loved ones.
How do you reuse your paper bags? Visit our Blogs section and share some of your favorite recycling tips with us!